Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Meet and Greet

So who am I and why do you need to read my blog? Let's see.

My name is Samantha Holloway, and I'm a freelance writer, editor and blogger, and working from home finally gives me the time to cook like I want to... that, and the fact that part of the agreement with my room-mates was that if I didn't have a day job, I'd cook and clean until such time as I do. Either way, I've been cooking up a storm, and I thought it might be fun to have a blog about it, at the very least so I can find my own recipes when I need to again.

I'm not a professional cook. Like all writers, I did my time as a waitress and restaurant kitchen staff, but aside from home ec and a food prep class a million years ago in high school, I've never been trained. I learned to cook real meals when I was ten and my mom got pneumonia and couldn't stand, let alone cook, and I've been trying out recipes since. I learned to bake at eight; the first thing I made were Duncan & Hines Blueberry Muffins, and I was so proud of myself. I'm entirely sure that without cooking requiring me to learn fractions, I wouldn't know any math at all.

So this blog is going to be about the food I make and the recipes I try out, as well as about places I eat and ready-made things I test run, but it's also going to be a way to track my progress as I learn more complicated techniques and try more ambitious things. Maybe one day I'll work my way through a whole cookbook, cover to cover, and see where it gets me.

Care to follow along?

No comments: