Sunday, March 1, 2009

Scottish Festival!

For D's birthday at the end of February, we went to the Scottish Fest is Green Cove Springs, and there was much kilt-wearing and caber-tossing and baby-goat snoodling and sheep-herding and floded-eared cats and far too much sun for it to be really Scottishy, and best of all, there was brittish food. Whoo!

There was UK candy, right off the bat, and I spent most of my money in that one booth-- but it's been almost twenty years since I had a Club Bar or a bit of Tablet, and I couldn't help myself. And who doesn't love Turkish Delight, even if it is how the White Queen seduced poor Edmund? And HobNobs are a requirement.

At lunch, we found a booth of traditional English foods-- and Haggis, which is the only thing I couldn't get a picture of, because my camera decided to fill up and then die. Jeeze. But we've got C with a turkey leg, standard of every faire of every kind...
And we've got H with a similar appendage, eating it in that primal caveman way that fire-roasted, bone-in meat inspires...
I had the meat pie, with that song from Sweeney Todd stuck in my head the whole time, but it was like Dinty Moore in a shell, and I'm pretty fond of anything in pie form...

And A with a steak and kidney hand pie, which was delish. I don't even like organs, and it was lovely...
D had the haggis, which he loved and I tolerated-- it was very organy, more than the steak and kidney pie, and they'd ground it into a smooth organy paste. Maybe I would have liked it better on a sandwich or something; it had a texture like a spread.

There are more interesting Brittish foods, and weirder Scottish ones, but I guess it was a common-denomiator thing, and it was all lovely under the sun and sitting in the grass like that.

Ooh, and there was also Valhalla Brew home-made sodas! I got to try real sassafrass, which is lot like standard rootbeer, but with something extra-- a little bit of sharpness and a more creamy sweetness.

No comments: