Saturday, January 31, 2009

CSA Soup!


Unfortunately, the pictures I took of the haul were entirely blacked out by a stuck shutter that I didn't realize I had, so you can't see it, but I figired it out in time to take this picture of the soup I made the first night:

Note the offcentered-ness because the lcd is still busted. But I kind of like it.

Anyway, it's made like so:
Into the biggest pot you have, throw a bunch of broth. I used the last of our turkey stock (one old yogurt tub, so, like, two cups? three?) and a tub of roasted chicken stock (probably about two cups). Turn the heat on and let them start to melt as you prep, if they're frozen; if not, leave the heat off until everything's in.

sautee some thinly sliced meat. I used chuck, which is fatty and flavorsome. Add it to the broth.

Sautee an onion and a few cloves of garlic (but a few, I mean, like, five; we're garlic-folk) in olive oil until they're all yummy and golden. Toss them into the broth.

Chop and toss in two stalks of broccoli, florets and as much as the stalk as will chop easily (stalks are tasty and full of fiber!); four carrots and the minced tops of one of them, if the carrots are organic and with tops; two big red potatoes, skins on; a handful or so of fingerling potatoes, skins on; a half to one whole sweet potato, skins on; a half-pint of wee little tomatoes, chopped some.

Add salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and basil. 

Boil it a bit until everything's eatably soft, probably somewhere around a half hour, then add a big handful of chopped fresh spinach and continue cooking until the spinach is all soft and melty.

Eat it up yum yum!

No comments: