Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stamppot Boerenkool By Way of Bangers and Mash



I saw this on the Food Network ages ago, and really only remembered that there were potatoes cooked in beef broth, weensy-chopped kale and sausages. I couldn't find a recipe that was exactly what I was thinking, so I read, like, seven and combined them the way I wanted to, and came out with something similar to what I was thinking and similar to Bangers and Mash. I'm pretty sure they cooked it in a crockpot sort of deal on FN, but I did away with that. 

Here's how it went:
Peel and chop a bunch of potatoes and set them to cook in a whole box of beef broth. Boil like you would for anything else.

Meanwhile, put four pieces of smoked bacon on low heat to melt out all the fat and cook them until they're crispy as you like, then remove them and let them cool while you cook a thinly-sliced onion in the fat. Cook until it's all melty and golden, then remove and replace with a sausage for everyone who's eating. I wanted a smoked brat, but I couldn't find any, so I used regular brats, and they turned out just fine. I think it's the sausageyness that matters, not what kind of sausage you use, though the recipes usually call for 'smoked sausage' or 'farmer's sausage'. I'm not huge on keilbasa, but that's probably good too.

While they're browning up on both sides, finely chop a whole bunch of fresh freen kale, disgarding bad leaves, yellow or tough bits and stems. You can save the stems for soup or something. 

When the sausages are all browned, but not cooked through, add the onions, the bacon and the kale on top of them, and ladle in enough of the broth from the potatoes to make it, like, three-quarters of an inch deep. You're braising here, not boiling. Cover it with a lid, and let it cook on medium or medium-high while the potatoes finish cooking. 

When they're done, pull them out of the broth (don't throw it away!), and mash them like regular mashed potatoes, but with alot of pepper and some of the broth as well as milk and butter to make them creamy. 

Pull out the sausages, which should be almost cooked through, and spread the kale, onions and bacon on top of the mashed potatoes. 

Throw the cooking broth from the potatoes into the pan where the sauage and bacon were cooked, and simmer it until it's thickened up and starts to look like onion gravy, then add the sausages back in to finish off.

Serve the topped potatoes with one sausage and some gravy, and there you go!

~:) Delicious Dinner (tm)!

No comments: