Monday, April 6, 2009

Seasonality: Second Week of April

If I thought that maybe the list was getting long because I was finding new lists, this week has corrected me-- all the lists have gotten longer. Deliciously, delieriously longer. Every week right now brings huge bounties of wonderous new foods!

In this week: Blueberries (finally! i have no idea where the fooddrop was getting them when none of the lists said they were seasonal anywhere), Cukes (I can have tzatziki again!), Corn!, Eggplants!, Watermelon!, Fava Beans, Salad Greens, Samphire (whatever that is!), Wild Nettles, Passionfruit is back, Basil, Chervil, Chives, Coriander, Mushrooms (Morrel in particular, as well as St George's Mushroom and bigger Portobellos), Shrimp, Whelk, Whitebait, Mackerel (actually year round and not on any of the lists until now), Coley, Conger Eel, Dab, Dover, Sole, Eel!, Langoustine, and Prawns.

Out: Sunchoke, Alexanders, Chickweed (which isn't really true here, because I know it grows year round), Cow Parsely, Fat Hen, Birch Sap, and Starfruit (which I'm a little sad about, but all the starfruits looked really sad and unappetizing this year).

And all that's ON TOP OF the massive list we've already got! My little three-column / two-third page list on the fridge has grown into a massive five-column monster with extra mini lists in the top margin, under the bottom, squeezed between others... It's awesome. I can eat almost anything. I want to eat it all!

This is also a food drop week, and we can expect Celery, Red Peppers, Carrots, Collards, Onion, Fingerlings, Russets, Pineapple, Grape Tomato, Blueberries, and Romaine.

No comments: